“Everesting” has become a thing – now part of the global bicycling vernacular. It’s a fairly simple concept, yet brutally challenging: Pick any hill, anywhere in the world, and climb it repeatedly, until you reach the height of Mt. Everest at 29,032′.
The pros have been going at it all year, with new records set and then broken within a few days. The current record belongs to Ronan McLaughlin in 7 hours 4 minutes 41 seconds. That’s just INSANE.
How about a challenge for us mere mortals?
You have 29 days to climb 29,032′. You can do a non-stop sufferfest; a quad-busting weekend; or take your time and smell the wildflowers.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
1. “Register” for the Challenge online or with mail-in waiver.
2. Join our Mt. Everest Climbing Challenge Facebook group to post photos of your favorite climbs and of your smiling faces at the top!
3. Request to join the Everesting Challenge Strava Club so we can encourage each other, give kudos and be inspired! If you’re not yet on Strava, please join! It’s FREE!
4. Between Monday, August 30th and Monday, September 27th, climb, climb, climb and post your activities and photos to Strava. You’ll also post your weekly totals on our Challenge page on RunSignUp (details coming soon).
5. Acceptable bikes: Any and all exclusively human powered two-wheeled bicycles. Sorry, no e-bikes/pedal assist for this one.
6. Acceptable indoor-apps: We’re okay with any of them, so long as you’re using a direct-drive smart trainer and are being honest regarding your weight.
7. If you previously “Everested” and just wish to purchase the jersey, event registration will have an option for just the jersey. You must send us a strava link or other proof that you did it – and it had to be in ONE RIDE.
WHAT’S INCLUDED WITH ENTRY:
1. Everyone who “Everests” earns the Everesting Jersey by Blackbottoms Cyclewear. Our design includes Tibetan prayer flags: Blue for sky, white for air, red for fire, green for water and yellow for earth. Traditionally, prayer flags are used to promote peace, compassion, strength, and wisdom. The flags are not intended to carry prayers to gods. Tibetans believe the prayers and mantras are blown by the wind to spread good will and compassion into all pervading space.
Jerseys are ordered at the end of the Challenge and delivered as soon as we have them (usually 7-8 weeks).
Please choose your size wisely. We’re happy to help.** Jerseys are special ordered for finishers only.
Race cut are euro-style, tight fitting. Club cut is more relaxed.
**Jerseys are special ordered for each finisher of this Challenge. We do not inventory Everesting jerseys. If you need help choosing a size, we’re happy to help. Send us an email with your height and weight. It’s important that we get the size right, as we’re unable to exchange once we ship it to you if it doesn’t fit.
2. Planet Ultra will provide lots of support, motivation, kudos and accolades for your climbing efforts; cheering you on the entire way!
3. The person with the most accumulated elevation gain will receive a special Everesting KOM award.
4. Everyone who “Everests” in a single day, in under 150 miles, will get an Everesting window sticker and be entered into a drawing to win their choice of either a FREE 2022 Planet Ultra single-day event entry or 30% discount for solo Hoodoo 500 entry.
5. Everyone who completes the Everesting Challenge will be entered into a drawing to win a FREE Planet Ultra single-day event entry.
REGISTRATION OPENS JUNE 22nd
Entry Fee: Cycling – $129
Includes Everesting jersey for everyone who climbs at least 29,032′ in 29 days.
Jersey Only: $85 includes tax and shipping.
Use the Climb Everest button to register with RunSignUp and pay by credit card (includes a small service fee). To pay by Venmo or Zelle, download and email this form. The email addresses for Venmo and Zelle are at the bottom of the form.